26.2.11

Are you an observer or a doer?




I had the honour tonight of attending a local event in Ottawa that benefited Love146. The night was filled with local talent: music, dancing, and a theatrical performance. It was inspiring to see a room filled with talented youth who were gathered to learn more about Love146 and child trafficking.

After an hour of performances (shout out to the bboys!!), Paul Morin -- VP of Development -- and Matthew Miller -- Network Networks Coordinator -- spoke to the group. They started by showing an introductory video. Paul then talked about his experiences in South East Asia. He talked about being approached in a mall by countless people offering him young girls. IN A MALL!

He offered us some hope when he talked about Serey -- a survivor who was recently married. He had attended the wedding and saw first-hand just how meaningful that moment was. You can read more on the Love146 Blog: "Serey Getting Married".

He talked about what Love146 does - prevention and aftercare. Something I didn't know was that they are currently taking care of three babies in the Round Home. It's not shocking that these girls would be pregnant, but I was so happy to hear that Love146 would care for the infants who were created during such a horrific act.

Something he made clear is that we're ALL responsible for these children. It is our duty to help save them from this horrifying industry. He asked the question, "are you an observer or a doer?" We have to be "doers". We can't simply ignore this issue. By ignoring it, we're letting it occur ALL over the world.

Matthew Miller talked about the Love146 Task Forces. He said something really interesting. He remarked that - in that room - all would be impacted by the issue. Some would read about Love146 and become aware of the issues. Others would be so affected they'd donate, and a few would be so affected that they'd have to take a stand and make it a point to become an abolitionist. When I first read about Love146, I knew I couldn't just donate and be content with that, and even the creation of this campaign, We Are All Human, is not enough. I wish I could do more. I wish that everyone in that room had left feeling the way I do. Nothing feels like it's enough so I have to keep fighting. I can't stop. I don't think I ever will.

I found it really inspiring to see Paul still getting a little choked up when he spoke about the issue. When he addressed the group, he had to take a minute to compose himself. Too see what he's seen, to experience what he's experienced -- it's not just a story. It's a dark and devastating reality. One that we need to STOP ignoring. It's growing too quickly.

At the end, I introduced myself to Paul and told him it was an honour to hear him speak. I told him that I was the one who created the #WeAreAllHuman campaign. What is interesting is that before I even started this campaign, I had been on the phone with him and Elizabeth from Love146 who had offered their support. It was that phone call that truly inspired me to go through with this campaign, so to meet one of the people in that call was such a blessing. It, yet again, reinforced WHY I am doing this for Love146. It's an organization FILLED with passionate individuals who are TRULY affected by this issue. They live and breath this devastating crime, and they will not stop until it's abolished.

I wanted to thank ALL of you for helping me with the #WeAreAllHuman campaign. Love146 has been really impressed with our work to spread awareness and to fundraise for the survivors of child sex slavery. They have appreciated us and supported us FROM THE BEGINNING. All of your voices have been so important, and I hope you won't stop. I hope you'll all become DOERS and feel like nothing is ever enough.

I also urge you all to check the Love146 Calendar to see if there are any events in your area. I promise you'll leave feeling inspired. This is not their job. This is their struggle, and even though it's difficult to wake up each morning to learn more about this devastating issue, they do it because they care. Because they can't let this issue go on.

Keep educating yourself. Donate to Love146. Start a Task Force. It's not an easy world issue to learn about daily, but if all of us were to do our part, maybe we could one day wake up and be proud of the world we live in.

My Unrealistic (??) Dream

During the performances tonight, I thought to myself, "How amazing would it be if Everly did a benefit concert that included some speakers from Love146? Gosh, if I had the ability to organize it, I would. I think it would be such a SPECIAL night. :) Would you all go?

-Steph

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that does seem like a very inspiring place to be!! I had no idea that they care for the babies of the victims (although in turn the babies are victims to); that is amazingly awesome. Caring hearts and fighting to make the world and the people who inhabit it better is touching within itself. I love that you continue to fight, that you started this all...and that your heart is bursting with willingness and fight. Warrior indeed!!

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience :). You are truly inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish 146 could do an event here in Hawaii! It would spread the word out to the Pacific! This post has certainly inspired me even more to continue to fight!! Thank YOU for starting WeAreAllHuman, too!
    -Che'Lyssa (a Love Warrior)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Stephanie for sharing your experience. Human trafficking is indeed a horrific issue to struggle with on a daily basis. I perceive it to be a deliberate and painful process . So the people behind Love146 are truly inspiring and admirable. It is good to know that there are people willing to dedicate their lives in saving the world from various issues of destruction. This leads me to believe that although at this moment chaos occurs around the world, hope also thrives. So I am hopeful, that with all of us, human trafficking and slavery will be put to rest for good.

    And yes I also hope, for each of us, that the #WeAreAllHuman campaign will not be the end but only the beginning of our fight against child-sex slavery. I personally, would want to do more.

    I pray that all of us will continue to inspire one another throughout this journey.

    xo

    ReplyDelete